Friday, April 20, 2012

Paris to Vienna with Me Ma


There are some moments I want to talk about. Moments of reflection. Those moments of reflection that you experience, after not having taken time to reflect for a long time. During which long time you’ve done so much more than you can recall, even in the most lucid moment of reflection. So much more, that when that instant of reflection finally breaks through the thick barrier of constant and unbroken experience and accomplishment, it shatters that pristine unity into a thousand tiny fragments, some of which fall between the cracks of active consciousness and reflective thought, never to be retrieved again.

This is how I feel after the last several weeks of my life.  After a fantastic blur of trains, cars, couches, and hotel rooms, I have finally settled down for a second to breathe and realized just how much I’ve done even since I last wrote. This entry will be the feeble attempt to piece together those last couple of weeks in some semblance of coherent order for you to understand. Here goes the impossible....

So. I've been traveling with me ma across Europe over the past two weeks. Our first stop was Paris, where I met her. We decided to take this vacation very relaxed...not have a full schedule of things to do or see every day, but rather to have a couple ideas in mind, and seeing how the day progressed. The main goal of each day was to eat and eat well. Among the multitude of comestibles we rapaciously consumed, the items we devoured the most were wine, cheese, and yes, pastries. Lots of pastries. From several patisseries a day. More than any being should consume and still have a properly functioning heart. From croissants to macarons, pain au chocolat and tartelettes, they were delicious every time. I’ve never been to place with such a highly developed pastry culture, and my oh my was it tasty! But they culinary adventures didn’t end at the patisseries...one day we even lunched in the Champ du Mars just before the Eiffel Tower on a grand feast of cheese, baguette, and red wine. Also, we visited a couple of great bistros, at which I had escargot, black pudding over roasted apples, and other delectables.

Mmmmm apricot tart!!! 
Of all our gastronomic escapades, one stands out above the rest. This is the first time something like this has ever happened to me, something that doesn’t happen just any old day. It happened when went to an Italian restaurant—Augusto, in the 3rd arr.—for lunch with my couchsurfing host around the corner from his apartment, a little two-man operation tucked away on a small street. Throughout the meal, the chef/owner came to speak with us a few times, as he is friends with my host and likes speaking with his customers. During the course of the chat, it was mentioned that I want to open a cafe and so we got onto the topic of running a restaurant and the like. Anyway, by the end of the conversation, after having expressing interest in wanting to work in my cafe for a little bit once I get it operational, he ended up doing offering me something beyond my wildest dreams: the chance to work under him for two weeks, to learn how to manage a restaurant by myself!

And so it shall be: after emailing him a few times to agree upon a date, we decided that I’ll come back on May 20 and work there until June 3. Although he’s unfortunately not able to pay me, his teachings will more than compensate for whatever money he could give me. This is the perfect opportunity to learn exactly the skills I need to for opening my own, small restaurant, from how to manage inventory to which food suppliers to look for.  And I’ll doubtless pick up some fantastic recipes along the way! I’ll have to dedicate an entire blog post to these two weeks—so look for it in a couple of months!

Me and me ma before that big tower thingy
Our stay in Paris culminated the next day with another lovely occurrence, albeit planned rather than a surprise like the last. On our last evening there, we met up with two couchsurfing friends, Justin and Flo, whom I hosted in Pittsburgh the autumn before last. They are a couple who’ve been living and studying in Paris for the last few years, and I had intended to visit them since arriving in Europe in September. They took us to a small bistro with—allegedly—the best steak tartare in town. While I had nothing to compare it against, it certainly was delicious. But never mind the food. Seeing those two again was lovely. So far, I’ve seen most couchsurfers whom I’ve hosted or whom have hosted me at least one more time, usually in a different corner of the world. It’s so lovely to make such lasting connections within the couchsurfing community, even though circumstances usually don’t presage our seeing each other again after the initial meeting. I fully intend on hanging out with them some more when I go back!

Me and my couchsurfing friends David (second from left) and Justin (third from left) with one of David's friends. We just so happened to run into David while heading to dinner. 

After Paris, my mother and I took a train to Cologne. Due to negligence to double-check our schedule, we ended up missing our train because I thought we were taking a later one than we actually were. Which unfortunately led to us having to buy last-minute tickets, which were by no means cheap (sorry Mom!). Anyway, along the way we had to sit in between carriages on the fold-down seats near the lavatory since the Thalys was over-booked (as always, apparently). But it ended up not being too bad, especially since randomly I had a chat with another Fulbrighter, who just so happened to also come from Pittsburgh, who’s a teaching assistant near Hanover. What are the chances!

In Cologne, while my mother swam in the hotel pool, I took the chance to enjoy a two-hour run along the good ol’ Rhein, my old pal of yore. For dinner that eve, we met up with Mark, my friend from Duquesne who moved to Cologne to marry the love of his life, Katharina, whom he met in Pittsburgh when she was an exchange student there. My mom had her first taste of Kölsch, Cologne’s famous brew, as well as a proper Cologne Brauhaus experience at Päffgen, a non-touristy favorite hang of the locals. Two days later, on Easter Sunday, we took to the Dom for the biggest Easter mass I’ve ever been to in my life (I mean, it’s only in the fourth largest cathedral in the world...). Though I was there three years ago for the very same service, my mother hadn’t seen it yet, and was quite delighted to have gone. And while I’m not into all the whole religion thing, I must admit I was quite impressed with not only the service, but also the setting. Gotta give ‘em some respect.

That afternoon, we boarded another train (the right one this time) headed for Munich. The whole ride we were looking forward to enjoying our first home-cooked meal of the whole trip, but were unpleasantly surprised when I went for my run the next morning. Apparently, the day after Easter is also considered a holiday in Germany, and thus all the stores were closed, including, most oddly, most of the restaurants. Since I had been in Berlin the month before our trip, I had absolutely no food in my apartment, and so we were forced to go out yet again. We met Michael, one of my best mates here, for dinner at a Greek restaurant in Schwabing. Otherwise our stay in Munich was quite peaceful, walking around the city center and enjoying the hoards of buskers that were out that day. The next day (Tuesday) we shipped off for Vienna on yet another train.

Serious buskers in Munich

Vienna was definitely our favorite city. The ‘City of Music’ indeed—every night, there’s quite lit’rally two operas, three musicals, a couple of plays, a handful of symphonies, and every other kind of performance imaginable being put on. Of course, we took full advantage of such offerings, seeing three concerts (two classical piano, pieces by Bach and Chopin, and latin flamenco-jazz by Diego el Cigala). Otherwise we relaxed, supping on (of course) much schnitzel, strudel, and Sacher Torte. Though I must say the Sacher Torte was a bit of a disappointment, the coffee was certainly not. We also found a lovely restaurant that offers dishes centered on apples and potatoes, two main crops of Austria, near our hotel: Jonathan und Sieglinde, Riemergasse 16, 1010 Wien. They had most delicious creations (including, thankfully, lots of veggie dishes), and the most extensive selection of apple wines, juices, and ciders I’ve ever seen. It’s rare to see such creativity, albeit simple, in restaurants these days. Above all ones that offer more than just a couple vegetarian dishes.

Sacher Torte and a coffee-hot chocolate drink at Cafe Mozart 

We also visited the Museum Albertina, one of the most well-laid out and structured collections of art I’ve been to. Not only did they show their artwork chronologically, but they also gave extensive biographies of the artists whose work in prominent in their collection, as well as a good deal of context behind their paintings. For once, instead of aimlessly wandering through a confused maze of colors, I learned about the significance of painters’ contributions to the art world, and what they did to become famous. The two rotating exhibits were on Impressionism and Gustav Klimt’s drawings.

Well after four days in Vienna, I saw my mother off to the airport, from where she flew to Paris to catch a connecting flight to Pittsburgh the next day. Her flight was at 6:20 in the morn, so I returned to the hotel and slept till check-out, moving myself and my bag to yet another couchsurfing friend’s place, whom I had hosted in Munich over New Year’s a few months ago. Kathi was quite busy, needing to study for a large test and I was pretty exhausted from my extensive jaunting across Europe, so we just pretty much hung out for the weekend, watching a movie and cooking together when not reading or studying. I made her a lemon meringue pie, which we ate after enjoying some mushroom risotto and red cabbage salad. After a day and a half’s rest at Kathi’s place, I caught one last train home to the Münch, to actually live in my apartment again after nearly two months of not being there for more than three consecutive days.